February 18, 2026
News

Vinícius Jr Slams Racism After Controversial Booking Mars Real Madrid’s Benfica Victory

By Rasheed Adewuyi, New York
  • Match Halted Over Alleged Racist Abuse as Vinícius Jr Blasts “Cowards” After Benfica Clash

 

The UEFA Champions League playoff clash between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF was briefly halted following an alleged racist incident involving Vinícius Júnior, who later condemned racism and questioned why he was booked for celebrating during the emotionally charged encounter.

The match at the Estádio da Luz was stopped for several minutes after Vinícius accused Benfica’s Argentine midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of calling him “monkey” during an on-field exchange. The Brazilian forward refused to continue playing immediately, prompting intervention from the referee and match officials before the game eventually resumed.

After the match, Vinícius issued a powerful statement condemning racism and criticizing authorities for failing to enforce meaningful punishment.

“Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are,” he said.

“But they have protection of others who, theoretically, have a clear obligation to punish them in these cases.”

The Real Madrid star said the incident reflected a recurring problem he and his teammates have faced.

“Nothing that happened today is new in my life or in my team’s life… I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don’t understand why I got that card.”

“On the other hand, I see it was just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose. I don’t like to appear in situations like this, after the big win when headlines should be about Real Madrid… but it’s necessary.”

Vinícius had earlier expressed confusion over the referee’s decision to caution him for celebrating his goal, insisting his reaction was a natural expression of joy.

The booking added to his frustration, especially as attention shifted away from Real Madrid’s performance to the racism controversy.

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappé also confirmed the seriousness of the incident and called for decisive action, stating that players found guilty of racist abuse should not be allowed to compete in Europe’s premier club competition.

His comments intensified pressure on UEFA to investigate and take disciplinary measures if the allegations are confirmed.

The controversy now casts a shadow ahead of the decisive second leg, scheduled for February 25, 2026, at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, where Real Madrid will seek to secure qualification for the next round.

However, Vinícius’ latest experience underscores football’s continuing struggle with racism, with the Brazilian insisting the fight against discrimination must remain a priority beyond match results.

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video